1-Day Intensive Workshops
Do you wish you or your team knew more about how to make your Ruby on Rails application faster? Performance work can be intimidating at first: it might feel like it's over your head, too boring, or too esoteric. I disagree. My one-day workshops teach the fundamental skills of making Rails web applications fast, and do it in a way that's accessible and memorable.
Make Your App Faster than "Fast Enough"
A 1-Day, One-On-One Intensive
My workshops are small, intimate intensives intended to give you a solid base of skill in performance measurement (benchmarking, profiling) and for us to work together on problems specific to the applications you work on day-to-day. Class sizes are 15 students or less so I can have plenty of interaction with every student.
You will learn:
- How to find out exactly what parts of your application are slow
- What performance problems in Rails applications are hard to fix and which are easy
- Why premature optimization isn't just bad, it's a waste of time
- How to build a performance culture in your organization
- How Ruby's memory management works and what problems it can cause
And here is a complete syllabus.
"I really enjoyed that we learned on our own projects. It was less 'theoretical' and more hands on so I don't have to try to 'translate' in a messy, real dev environment vs. a sterile setup." - Rachel Sison
"After attending the workshop, our company improved response times, reduced queue times, and cut costs." - Ken Mayer
"I have a bunch of pull requests that came out of the workshop. I have more tools in my toolset that I could use for future consulting projects." - Ernesto Tagwerker
Upcoming Public Workshops
All public workshops are $700/seat. All attendees will also receive a complementary copy of the Web-Scale Edition of the Complete Guide to Rails Performance, a $200 value.
- Minneapolis/RailsConf, Friday May 3rd. Hyatt Regency (same as the conference hotel). Buy ticket.
- New York City, Monday June 3rd. Chelsea. Buy ticket.
- New York City, Wednesday June 5th. Chelsea. Buy ticket.
I am currently working on my workshop schedule for 2019. A tentative list of cities I am considering is below.
- Washington D.C.
- San Francisco
- Your town. Not on this list? Tell me where you want me to teach next.
Group discounts available for bookings of 5 seats or more. Email me to reserve a group booking.
The course is always available by appointment for your company. I welcome combining with other companies in order to make a full class. Email me for details.
My name is Nate Berkopec. I'm a software developer and author of the Complete Guide to Rails Performance. I've previously worked for people like Getty Images, Intercom.io, ClickFunnels and more 500Startups and YCombinator startups than I can count. I was on Shark Tank once.