1-Day Intensive Workshops
Do you wish you or your team knew more about how to make your Ruby on Rails application faster? Performance work can be intimidating at first: it might feel like it's over your head, too boring, or too esoteric. I disagree. My one-day workshops teach the fundamental skills of making Rails web applications fast, and do it in a way that's accessible and memorable.
Make Your App Faster than "Fast Enough"
A 1-Day, One-On-One Intensive
My workshops are small, intimate intensives intended to give you a solid base of skill in performance measurement (benchmarking, profiling) and for us to work together on problems specific to the applications you work on day-to-day. Class sizes are 20 students or less so I can have plenty of interaction with every student.
You will learn:
- How to find out exactly what parts of your application are slow
- What performance problems in Rails applications are hard to fix and which are easy
- Why premature optimization isn't just bad, it's a waste of time
- How to build a performance culture in your organization
- How Ruby's memory management works and what problems it can cause
And here is a complete syllabus.
My workshops, just like my courses, are covered by a 100% money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason, I will refund your entire purchase. I anticipate that all workshop attendees should be able to save their company at least $1,000/year using the techniques taught at this workshop, with much much more savings possible, depending on the amount of traffic your Rails app serves.
"I really enjoyed that we learned on our own projects. It was less 'theoretical' and more hands on so I don't have to try to 'translate' in a messy, real dev environment vs. a sterile setup." - Rachel Sison
"After attending the workshop, our company improved response times, reduced queue times, and cut costs." - Ken Mayer
"I have a bunch of pull requests that came out of the workshop. I have more tools in my toolset that I could use for future consulting projects." - Ernesto Tagwerker, Ombu Labs
"After two days of training from Nate and a concerted effort from a few engineers, we had performance improvements of 10-50% on key flows.” - Rory O’Connell, Grand Rounds
Upcoming Public Workshops
All public workshops are $700/seat. All attendees will also receive a complementary copy of the Web-Scale Edition of the Complete Guide to Rails Performance, a $200 value.
- Atlanta, GA Monday June 17th. WeWork Colony Square (Midtown). Buy ticket.
- Austin, TX Wednesday June 19th. 118 Nueces St. Special Guest: Richard Schneeman Buy ticket.
- Dallas, TX Friday June 21st. 2403 Farrington, Dallas, TX. Buy ticket.
- Denver, CO Monday June 24th. Hyatt Place, 14th Street. Buy ticket.
- Chicago, IL Wednesday June 26th. Civic Opera House, N Wacker. Buy ticket.
- Boston, MA Monday July 15th. 374 Congress Street. Buy ticket.
- Washington DC Wednesday July 17th. 1100 G Street NW. Buy ticket.
- Philadelphia, PA Friday July 19th. One East Penn Square. Buy ticket.
- Portland, OR Monday July 29th. 1200 SW Park Ave. Special Guest: Mike Perham Buy ticket.
- Seattle, WA Wednesday July 31st. 999 Third Ave (Downtown). Buy ticket.
- San Francisco, CA Friday August 2nd. 965 Mission St. Buy ticket.
- San Francisco, CA Monday August 5th. 965 Mission St. Buy ticket.
- San Francisco, CA Wednesday August 7th. 965 Mission St. Special Topic: ActiveRecord Deep Dive Buy ticket.
Group discounts available for bookings of 4 seats or more. Email me to reserve a group booking.
The course is always available by appointment for your company. I welcome combining with other companies in order to make a full class. Email me for details.
My name is Nate Berkopec. I'm a software developer and author of the Complete Guide to Rails Performance. I've previously worked for people like Getty Images, Intercom.io, ClickFunnels and more 500Startups and YCombinator startups than I can count. I was on Shark Tank once.