Do you wish your team knew more about how to make your Ruby on Rails application faster? Performance work can be intimidating at first: it might feel like it's over your head, too boring, or too esoteric. I disagree. My one-day workshops teach the fundamental skills of making Rails web applications fast, and do it in a way that's accessible and memorable.
Make Your App Faster than "Fast Enough"
Here's what you and your team will learn:
- Lower your response times to 200 milliseconds or less.
- Reduce how much you're spending on deployment, by as much as half.
- Build a clear plan to scale for the next 12 months.
- Apply the three-step "DRM" method to solve 80% of Rails performance issues quickly and simply.
- Practice a simple, repeatable performance process to diagnose and solve any issue. No genius required.
- Fix any N+1 scenario, even the weird ones that go 12 stack levels deep that you've never been able to figure out.
- Set targets and performance budgets within your organization that make sense for you and your customers.
- Learn how to diagnose performance issues anywhere in the stack: DB, Ruby itself, the browser, and more.
- Understand what "breaks" simple preload/eager_load schemes and how to get around it.
- Scale services mathematically without load testing.
- Decipher metrics on services like NewRelic and Scout.
- Reduce the memory usage of any Rails app.
- ... and a whole lot more.
My workshops have been attended by more than 400 people. Here's what some of them had to say:
"If you haven’t checked Nate Berkopec's training, books and tutorials yet, then I highly recommend him as an expert resource with an organized set of performance diagnostics tools. His workshop shaved $7,000/year off our Heroku bills with one change."
- Ken Mayer
"After training from Nate and a concerted effort from a few engineers, we had performance improvements of 10-50% on key flows.”
- Rory O’Connell, Grand Rounds
"I have a bunch of pull requests that came out of the workshop. I have more tools in my toolset that I could use for future consulting projects."
- Ernesto Tagwerker, Ombu Labs
How do I sign up?
The course is always available by appointment for your company. I welcome combining with other companies in order to make a full class. Email me for details.
My name is Nate Berkopec. I'm a software developer and author of the Complete Guide to Rails Performance. I've previously worked for people like Getty Images, Intercom.io, ClickFunnels and more 500Startups and YCombinator startups than I can count. I was on Shark Tank once.